Google Hangouts is an online video conferencing platform that allows us to add participation options to our calendar invites.
Because Google Hangouts is a web application, there’s no installation necessary. For the best experience, use Google Chrome.
You can change your avatar across Google Apps even though Google+ profile editing is restricted. Here’s how:
- Open Google Drive.
- Click the circular account icon in the upper right corner.
- Click the Change link over your avatar.
- Update your profile photo.
- Click Set as profile photo.
You can add a Hangout to Google Calendar invites.
You can start a hangout from Slack by typing
You can use Google Hangouts to conference call, video conference, screenshare, and bridge to a telephone line (free domestically).
You can make and receive free domestic phone calls from within Gmail or Google Hangouts. Just create a new number with your GSA account at google.com/voice
Google Hangouts can now dial-out to include people in the Hangouts via audio-only. So you can be pretty on-the-fly so long as you have the number of either the one person who can’t get into the Hangouts, or a conference line where all the rest of the attendees are expected to call into. It’s great fun to get your virtual peeps together in Hangouts so you can see each other reacting, gesturing for wrap-up, raising hand to signal you’ll take the question being asked. etc. as if you were dialed in from the same (physical) conference room.
Text chat, Google Hangouts On Air, and Google+ are disabled.
To integrate teleconferencing into Gmail and Google Hangouts, create a new number with Google Voice that maps to your GSA-issued phone number.
Fix Audio Issues
If the audio for Hangouts has stopped working, you can either reset your computer or follow these steps:
- Click on the Mac search tool (magnifying glass icon) in the far right side of the menu at the top of your screen
- At the top of the search window that pops up, type
terminaland then hit enter
- In the Terminal window that opens, paste
sudo killall coreaudiodand then hit enter
- If it asks for your password, type your computer log-in password and then hit enter
- Audio should now work, but if it doesn’t, try re-starting your computer
Hang out with people outside of GSA
You can host a Google Hangout with anyone outside of GSA. Set up the Hangout as you normally would, and then adjust the privacy settings:
- Join the meeting.
- Click on the meeting name in the top right corner.
- Change the access to Anyone with the link.
- Click Close.