GSA internal tools
This post provides information on how to work with GSA’s web tools and your GSA-issued equipment.
Most of GSA’s internal tools are accessible via our Agency’s intranet Insite. You must be on the VPN to connect if you work remotely. Instructions for connecting are here. Here’s an overview of what you can access (you can click the names in this table to scroll down the page):
|Name||What we use it for||Login system|
|BookIT!||To reserve a desk or meeting room in GSA buildings||ENT username and password|
|Concur||To book travel. Learn more in Travel 101.||ENT username and password|
|Employee Express||To view your paystub, change your withholdings, or change your address||Employee Express username and password|
|HR Links||To request/document leave and access your personnel file online||ENT on GSA Wireless or VPN|
|IT Service Desk||General IT questions about Employee Express and other passwords (Note: They may not support requests for Macs, but will support requests for GSA websites)||ENT username and password|
|Meeting Space||To reserve your own conference call line||ENT username and password|
|Online University||To take mandatory trainings for federal employees||ENT username and password|
Please note that while many of these websites work fine in Chrome or Firefox, you must use Safari or Internet Explorer to access Online University.
Let’s cover each of these tools in a bit more detail.
BookIt! is what you’ll use to reserve a desk or a meeting room within a GSA building.
Here are some tips for employees that frequent an office:
To periodically reserve a workstation in D.C.:
- Go to `Profile → View Your Profile → Edit Profile`.
- Pick the workstation you'd like to reserve each day. TTS is on floor 4, wings 1 (OPP) and 4 (18F).
- Type: Workstation, Room Name: 4461A-Z (for 18F) and 41XX (for OPP).
- Choose the day of the week (today)
- Choose start and end times (typically, 9am and 6pm)
- Click save
- BookIT! can remember your office location so you won't have to scroll through drop-down menus every time you need to reserve a meeting room. To save your office location settings, go to
Profile → View Your Profile → Edit Profile.
- BookIT! also allows you to add “delegates,” or people who can book rooms and/or check in on your behalf. To do that, go to
Profile → View Your Profile → Delegates → Edit Profile.
- Some employees have expressed difficulty in logging into BookIT! If you’re having difficulty, try bookmarking the BookIT! login page. It should immediately ask for your ENT password. In DC, you can also email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to the 18F org they should be able to add you to the list in a day.
Employee Express is used to view your paystub, change your withholdings, change your health insurance plan, and change your address.
If you’re new to GSA, it’ll take a few weeks for IT to set up your account. (You should have access after your first paycheck.) You’ll receive a
Welcome to Employee Express email with a security code.
- You must click the first link first to activate your account.
- Sign in with your temporary ID number (last five digits of your social security number).
- After you activate your account, you can set up your login ID and password.
- Then, go back to the welcome email and click the second link to log in.
Once your account is setup, be sure to log in right away as that initial access expires within a few days. If you have trouble logging in or need to contact the Employee Express Help Desk, click on the (?) icon in the top right hand corner of the Employee Express main page and fill out the “Help Request” form.
If they ask for your health insurance code, you can see that in CHRIS under
GSA Personnel → Self Service → Employee Views → Benefits → Health Plan. Your code is the number next to your health plan.
See Benefits for more details about Employee Express.
HR Links is what you’ll use to request and document leave (sick, annual, bereavement, and more) as well as access your personnel file (your salary, your GS level, your supervisor, your past performance rating(s), and information about health insurance plan).
You must be on the VPN to connect to HR Links, if you work remotely.
If you have any issues with a GSA-maintained system or website, you’ll need to contact the IT service desk. Their chat feature is the most convenient way to get in touch with them. To contact the IT Service Desk via chat, visit the GSA IT Service Desk. Go to
Get Help → Contact the Service Desk → Live Chat (Under the “GSA IT Service Desk” heading). If you need to submit a ticket, please choose Patrick Bateman from the Supervisor dropdown (most easily findable by typing
patrick.bateman). He’ll respond to any supervisor signoffs quickly.
If you need to reset your ENT password, you can let your password expire and then change it through the Mac popup window. This will not cause you any issues. And if you’re on a Mac and change your ENT password, once you log out and log back in, make sure you’re on the GSA-wireless network (not GSA-guest) so that you can re-authenticate.
Meeting Space is the service you’ll use to create your own conference call line. Here’s how to do that:
- Log in. Click
Meetings → New Meeting.
- Fill out the required fields on the
Meeting Informationform and accept the defaults for everything else. Essentially, you’re setting up a fake meeting to trigger a request for a conference line.
- After you set up the meeting, an “audio profile” is automatically generated for you.
- Wait up to eight days. Audio profiles are created in weekly batches, so it can take up to seven or eight days before yours is created. Please note that you won’t receive a notification once your profile is created — be sure to log in to check on the status of your profile.
- Log in. Click
Meetings → New Meeting.
- On the Enter “Meeting Information page,” scroll down to Audio Conference Settings and click Manage Audio Profiles. You should see a table on the left-hand side of the screen that lists an audio profile (with a name along the lines of GSA Meeting Space Audio Profile).
- If the table is empty, your profile hasn’t been created yet. Otherwise, click the audio profile name to see your conference line number and passcodes.
While this process can take up to eight days, the upshot is that your conference number is permanent! Yours to keep, forever. And when you need to use your conference number, you do not need to schedule a meeting in Meeting Space. You just dial in with the leader code, and the number will be active for others using the participant code.
TTS has an inventory of computer supplies, such a mice, keyboards, and trackpads on hand. If you’d like to check out Apple peripherals (for example, a Magic Mouse or wireless keyboard), make your request here.
Access to general office supplies varies based on your location — see our office guides. The D.C. office has a supply center on the first floor of the GSA building. The supply center offers paper, pens, notebooks, and other basic office supplies (many of which can also be found in printer rooms throughout the building).
For software requests, see Software.
If you need office supplies that aren’t available in your office, software, or need to make any other request for TTS to purchase, read on here for what to do next.