This section provides a brief overview of the types of hiring actions along with any related process information.
If you’d like to see a list of all the open hiring actions across TTS, please visit the TTSJobs handbook page
Types of Hiring Actions at TTS
Competitive (Career) and Excepted Service Hiring Actions via the Merit Promotion Process
For more information on hiring via the Competitive Service (Career) Merit Promotion Process or the Excepted Service version of the Merit Promotion Process, please visit the Promotions page of the handbook.
TTS Internal Competitions & Developmental Opportunities
The following explains the process for initiating TTS internal competitions (e.g. directors, supervisors) and developmental opportunities (e.g. details, leads).
For detailed information specific to initiating an internal or external detail, please review the details page of the handbook.
Since these are hiring actions, they will mirror our Merit Promotion process. This means:
- There must be a vacant Position Number available for your team (or PN that will soon become vacant - if this is replacing a current employee in the position being advertised)
- It must be prioritized by the Director of your office and the Front Office
Talent will assist and facilitate in the hiring process but in order to avoid conflicts of interest, the hiring action owner will be primarily responsible for developing job materials and interacting with applicants (employees).
Submitting a request
If this request is not on the current staffing plan or it is on the staffing plan, but the Hiring Manager (HM) would like it to be prioritized sooner, they must get approval from their organizations Director (ex: Angela Colter for 18F). If the Director agrees, then:
- The Director sends a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talent will send the request to the TTS Front Office
- If Front Office approves, Talent will add the role to the Backlog of the Talent Acquisition Work-System Board
Once the prioritized role is ready to be worked on, Talent will move the role to the Job Prep stage on the Trello board and reach out to the HM to begin the process.
- The Talent PoC assigned to the role will supply the HM with the following templates:
- TTSJobs Application Form Template
- TTSJobs Announcement Template
In addition to the information within the templates, the Action Owner will need to provide:
- Interviewer names (resume reviewer if different than HM or interviewers)
- Custom Application Form questions
Once the TTSJobs Announcement is complete, Talent will:
When the job is posted, the role will move to the Job Announcement stage on the trello board the HM dictates when and for how long they would like to post the role. Once the role comes down, Talent will save the resumes and applications in a folder that will be shared with the HM, interviewers and anyone else involved in the hiring decision.
While the applicants are being reviewed by the team, the role will sit in the Qualification stage of the Trello board.
The hiring team is responsible for confirming the applicants meet the qualifications outlined in the posting (i.e. GS level, required experience).
For HR to move forward with a selection, the applicant must meet the following qualifications:
- been on their current PD for at least 90 days
- must hold the same grade level as the PD or have at least one year of specialized experience at the next grade below
- if applicant is at the grade below, they will need to provide an updated resume and HR will need to qualify them. This means Supervisors should NOT announce who they have selected until HR approves the selection
- If the role being advertised is a detail and does not have a PD associated with it, then any GS level can apply, unless the HM specifies which GS levels they are accepting.
Once the team has decided who they would like to move forward with, they will send the list of applicants to their Talent PoC for interview scheduling.
When the team has determined who they would like to place in the role, they must:
- First confirm with the employee’s supervisor that they are OK with this employee moving to their team
- Forward the supervisor’s approval to Talent. Talent will need to submit a Reassignment PAR to HR.
It is the responsibility of the HM provide applications with the applicable feedback, whether that is letting the applicant know they are moving forward in the process, that they have been selected or that they have been rejected (including providing feedback why if applicable). Talent will not notify nor offer feedback to applicants.
If you are advertising a detail: the action can only be submitted for a time period of no more than 120 days. The detail can then be extended for another 120 days If the HM and the employee’s supervisor agree to extend.
Excepted Service or Competitive Service Hiring Actions filled via open and public competition
These actions are the most common type of action across TTS. Information about the process related to these actions can be found in the guide to the Talent Acquisition Work System
TTS Hiring - Prioritization Process
For an overview of the way in which hiring actions are collected, prioritized and managed read our TTS Hiring - Prioritization Process