Virtual Working and Moving
The official GSA processes for moving and for virtual working have recently changed. If you need to move or submit a new virtual work agreement, click on the link below that best reflects your situation. Please follow all guidance below the starting point.
- A virtual employee who is moving to a new virtual location
- A virtual employee who is moving to one of our offices (DC, CHI, NYC or SFO)
- An office employee who is moving to a virtual location
- An office employee who is moving to a different office
- An office employee who’s home address is changing but not their work location
Please note that full approval can take a significant period of time and is not guaranteed, so we highly recommend that you don’t finalize plans to move until receiving full approval.
A Virtual Work Agreement is needed
- For new hires that will work from a virtual duty station, i.e. not working from one of our offices (DC, CHI, NYC or SFO)
- If your virtual duty station is changing (even if the move is just down the street)
- It is not required if you are moving to one of our offices (DC, CHI, NYC or SFO)
- If the number of approved trips on your original VWA is increasing
- If you’re a virtual employee and your position changes due to a reassignment, PD change or a promotion
How to fill out a Virtual Work Agreement
Here are step-by-step instructions for completing the VWA Form. Please see below for a comprehensive list of when a VWA is required and for tips on filling it out.
Things to note when completing the VWA
- Supervisors will need to provide a written business justification (Part E of the VWA form) for all VWAs whether they provide a cost savings or cost increase
- In the justification include the salaries for the staff member’s current location and the new location. In the Form, the new duty station must always be compared to the DC office but TTS leadership would like to see the difference between the actual current location and the new location.
- Supervisors will need to provide the number of trips an employee will have to make to DC annually and how long those trips will be (do not include billable trips).
- Existing staff VWAs can just have the city and state listed (noting on the form that the person is asking for approval to move prior to having a new full address)
TTS approval signatures required for VWA
- Your Office’s Assistant Commissioner (Alla, Ben, Rebecca, Sarah, Dom or Bob)
- In Part F, enter name (box 1), title (box 2), and get signature (box 3)
- Assistant Commissioner, Operations (Dominic Sale) this is a TTS requirement
- In Part G, enter name (box 1a), title (box 1b), and get signature (box 1c)
- Deputy Commissioner, FAS and Director of TTS (Joanne Collins Smee)
- In Part G, enter name (box 2a), title (box 2b), and get signature (box 2c)
- Send form to TTSfirstname.lastname@example.org who will be responsible for obtaining the remaining approvals and routing through the GSA process
- Please note - it can take up to 5 days to get all of the TTS signatures
GSA approval of the VWA
- Talent sends the VWAs to OCFO (Andrew Roach)
- Talent sends the VWAs to the FAS Commissioner’s office (Judith Zawatsky, Karen Link, and Alex Mobeka)
- FAS office sends to HSSO (Alan Thomas)
- FAS office sends to OHRM
- OHRM will upload the VWA to the Control Document Tracker (CDT) and route to the Office of Administrative Services (OAS) / Exec Secretariat
- OAS/Exec Secretariat will send to the Deputy Administrator
- Please Note: The A-Suite will only be reviewing the documents once a month. OHRM is looking into what date that will be and will share out.
- The package is then returned to OHRM
- OHRM will report status to the requesting organization
- TTS Talent will notify you when the VWA has been approved and will provide next steps
- Note: Since the recent process change, it has been taking 30-60 days for VWAs to get approved
Your effective date should be the start of a pay period. Pay period dates can be found on GSA InSite.
A member of the TTS Talent Team will complete a Request of Personnel Action (RPA) and submit to OHRM for processing. If a Virtual Work Agreement is required, the RPA is generated after the VWA has been filled out and signed by TTS leadership, as directed in the VWA instructions. Then the RPA and VWA are submitted to OHRM for processing.
Changes in pay
If you’re changing regions, your pay will change. Look up your new pay here. Find your region under the pay table for the current year, and then find your step and grade. That’s what you’ll be paid in your new location.
Change your address
- After logging into HR Links, ensure you see Employee Self-Service at the top (if you have multiple options in a pulldown menu, select this one).
- You’ll see in the upper right corner of your HR Links screen, is a compass icon. That is your NavBar. Click that.
- Select Navigator > Self Service > Personal Information > Address Change.
- Click edit address, make your change, and submit.
- Click submit on main address page and you’ll see a confirmation page pending approval of your address change.
Once your move is effective in GSA systems (SF50/CHRIS), change your state tax withholding by contacting the payroll office at KC-Payroll.Finance@gsa.gov. Note: Skip this step if you are an office employee who’s home address is changing but not your work location; it only applies if your move will have an impact on your state tax withholding
To notify the Thrift Savings Program (TSP) of your new address, email it to both the Consolidated Processing Center at email@example.com and to the payroll office at KC-Payroll.Finance@gsa.gov. Payroll will notify the TSP office of your new address.
Contact your health insurance, dental insurance, and any other insurances you may have and let them know about your address change. You will also need to verify that your insurance will be valid in your new location or you will need to change it. Contact GSA HR at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Change your Slack location
We’ve started putting our location in parentheses after our names in Slack to make it easier for coworkers to tell where we are. To update it, open your profile, click Edit, and update the letters after your last name.