This page covers the general process for requesting purchases under $10,000. Your request will be considered and, if approved, purchased by either the TTS Office of Acquisition (OA) or TTS Operations (Ops).
Some types of purchases are handled differently. See these pages for guidance about purchasing:
You can use the micropurchase request form to request an official purchase of anything under $10,000. Upon completing it, you will get an automated email, which confirms the details you entered, outlines any further actions you need to take, and loops in everyone who would need to approve your type of request. Different types of requests have different timelines for completion, but you should expect a response from whoever is identified to review your request within two business days.
To make best use of our resources, we use business cards sparingly. However, if you expect to use them for outreach or a specific meeting with partners, you can request standard GSA business cards, which don’t reflect TTS or 18F branding.
To initiate your request,
- First head to envisionprintservices.com. Verify your email, then create an account for yourself. Use a password that you are comfortable sharing with a member of the TTS Ops team, as they will need to later log in as you and make the purchase.
- After your account is set up, fill in the required information, finalize the design of your cards, and review your proof. Continue to checkout, choosing the quantity you’d like and adding the address that you’d like your business cards mailed to.
- Once you are on the final step of the order and credit card information is requested, it’s time to request approval through the micropurchase request form. Your order will be reviewed by the TTS Director of Operations, and once approved, a member of the TTS Ops team will log into your Envision account and release payment. Your business cards will arrive 7-10 business days after that.
If you want TTS/18F branding, you must purchase your own business cards. However, please get a final approval from the TTS Outreach team before placing the order.
Anyone working in an 18F office may request a purchase of office supplies by filling out the micropurchase request form. If you have questions about office supplies, the TTS Ops team points of contact (POC) are:
- Chicago - Ethan Heppner
- DC - Matt Spencer
- New York - Ethan Heppner
- San Francisco - Ethan Heppner
Once the request is placed, the designated TTS Ops team member will determine whether or not to recommend your request for approval by the TTS Director of Operations.
Requesting a domain renewal is much easier than requesting software. The TTS SaaS PM will reach out to the domain point of contact about a month before the domain will expire asking them if they want the domain to be renewed. If the domain is to be renewed, the domain point of contact will be asked to submit the micropurchase request form. After you submit the form, follow the instructions for next steps.
SSL and ECA Certificates fall somewhere between a software request and a domain renewal request. There is no ATO required for SSL Certificates, however, FITARA approval is still required. To obtain SSL/ECA Certificates, you will need to submit the micropurchase request form and follow the instructions. Then, the TTS SaaS PM and TTS OA Director will work with OCIO to get FITARA approval.
Examples of services TTS has procured:
- Engineering support
- Design services
- 3PAO service
Please follow the recommended steps below when ordering services under $10,000:
- For all requests, submit the micropurchase request form to initiate the request process. It will instruct you on next steps.
- You will need to make a copy of this RFQ template, fill it out, and attach the link to the micropurchase request form.
- After you submit the form, the TTS Micro-Purchase Project Manger and the OA Director will review the RFQ. Please be ready to address any questions, comments, or feedback at your earliest convenience.
- After the RFQ is approved by the OA Director, you will send it to the appropriate vendor(s) and cc the TTS Micro-Purchase PM. When sending the RFQ to vendor(s), keep in mind:
- If they’ve been government employees who worked in TTS within the past two years, we can’t hire them.
- Spread the wealth - this is not a formal rule or policy, but you don’t want to go back to the same person for every purchase, because that raises flags.
- Make sure the vendor can accept payment via government purchase card (aka credit card) - this seems easy but isn’t always the case.
- Receive a quote from the vendor. When reviewing the quote, please keep in mind:
- The requirement cannot exceed the micro-purchase threshold for the same service within a twelve-month period.
- You can’t pay for similar services from both vendor A and B if the scope is the same and the combined cost exceeds the micro-purchase threshold within a twelve-month period. This is considered splitting purchases.
- You need to avoid scope creep (adding extra work to the original agreement) that would go over the threshold.
- If you need any assistance with negotiations, please contact the TTS Micro-Purchase PM and the OA Director.
- Once the quote is received, the Micropurchase PM and OA Director will review the quote and ask for more quotes, clarifications, or proceed with the purchase.
Who to contact about purchasing services
TTS Micro-Purchase Project Manager: Melanie Leopold firstname.lastname@example.org
TTS Office of Acquisition Director: Esther Praske email@example.com
Or find us in Slack: #tts-oa.