This page covers the general process for requesting purchases under $10,000. Your request will be considered and, if approved, purchased by either the TTS Office of Acquisition (OA) or TTS Operations (Ops).
Some types of purchases are handled differently. See these pages for guidance about purchasing:
C2 is used for all purchase requests under $10,000. In order to use C2, you will need to get an account set up. Fill out this form and you will be set up within one to two business days. Once you are set up in C2, you will be able to make either an event request (for training and conferences) or a purchase request (for anything else). All requests must be approved by a supervisor before submitting in C2. Do not make a purchase on your own because you will not be reimbursed! Please follow the below instructions to make your request.
Please note that for training and conferences, someone from the TTS Ops team will enter the request in C2 on behalf of the requestor. Please be sure to follow the steps in the training section or conferences section.
Here’s the information you’ll need to enter in C2:
- Purchase Type: Software/Services/Etc.
- Product Name and Description: Include the specifics of what you are requesting.
- Justification: The justification section is very important. This is how you will get approval from TTS for what you need. It needs to be a strong justification for why you need it and you must include how it is different from something we have already procured and is available for use.
- Link to Product: Provide a link to the product website, if available.
- Cost per unit: If the product costs less than $3,500 per unit, then you must enter the unit price (and not the total price) here. If the product costs over $3,500 per unit (still must be under $10,000), then you will need to enter the amount as $3,500 and put the actual amount in the description for now (we are working to update C2 accordingly).
- Quantity: Include the quantity of what you are requesting.
- Additional Information: Include your office/chapter/portfolio and your supervisor’s name.
After the C2 request is created:
- Add your supervisor as an observer in C2 by scrolling all the way to the bottom where it says “Observers” and typing in their name or email. (If they have never used C2, you may need to request access for them, like you did for yourself at the beginning of the process.)
- Then, supervisor adds a comment “Approved” in your C2 request. Please note that for OPP purchases, the OPP Director’s approval is required in addition to the portfolio supervisor’s approval.
To make best use of our resources, we use business cards sparingly. However, if you expect to use them for outreach or a specific meeting with partners, you can request standard GSA business cards, which don’t reflect TTS or 18F branding.
To initiate your request,
- First head to envisionprintservices.com. Verify your email, then create an account for yourself. Use a password that you are comfortable sharing with a member of the TTS Ops team, as they will need to later log in as you and make the purchase.
- After your account is set up, fill in the required information, finalize the design of your cards, and review your proof. Continue to checkout, choosing the quantity you’d like and adding the address that you’d like your business cards mailed to.
- Once you are on the final step of the order and credit card information is requested, it’s time to request approval. Create a new purchase request in C2, and include your account credentials under “Link to Product”. Your order in C2 will be reviewed by the TTS Director of Operations, and once approved, a member of the TTS Ops team will log into your Envision account and release payment. Your business cards will arrive 7-10 business days after that.
If you want TTS/18F branding, you must purchase your own business cards. However, please get a final approval from the TTS Outreach team before placing the order.
Anyone working in an 18F office may request a purchase of office supplies by creating a new purchase request in C2. Be sure to add one of the TTS Ops team points of contact (POC) below as an observer to your request:
- Chicago - Ethan Heppner
- DC - Matt Spencer
- New York - Ethan Heppner
- San Francisco - Ethan Heppner
Once the request is placed, the designated TTS Ops team member will determine whether or not to recommend your request for approval by the TTS Director of Operations.
Examples of services TTS has procured:
- Engineering support
- Bug Bounty
- PMO support
- 3PAO service
Please follow the recommended steps below when ordering services under $10,000:
- Please make a copy of this RFQ template then fill it out.
- Once filled out, transfer the ownership of the RFQ to the TTS Micro-Purchase Project Manager (PM). Then submit the link to them via Slack. See the POC section for contact information.
- Once received by the TTS Micro-Purchase PM, the RFQ will be reviewed by the OA Director. Please be ready to address any questions, comments, or feedback at your earliest convenience.
- After the RFQ is approved by the OA Director, please send it to the appropriate vendor(s) and cc TTS Micro-Purchase PM and OA Director. When sending the RFQ to vendor(s), keep in mind:
- If they’ve been government employees who worked in TTS within the past two years, we can’t hire them.
- Spread the wealth - this is not a formal rule or policy, but you don’t want to go back to the same person for every purchase, because that raises flags.
- Make sure the vendor can accept payment via government purchase card (aka credit card) - this seems easy but isn’t always the case.
- Receive a quote from the vendor. When reviewing the quote, please keep in mind:
- The requirement cannot exceed the micro-purchase threshold for the same service within a twelve-month period.
- You can’t pay for similar services from both vendor A and B if the scope is the same and the combined cost exceeds the micro-purchase threshold within a twelve-month period. This is considered splitting purchases.
- You need to avoid scope creep (adding extra work to the original agreement) that would go over the threshold.
- If you need any assistance with negotiations, please contact the TTS Micro-Purchase PM and the OA Director.
- Follow the C2/P-Card Purchase protocol, then do the following:
- Add the TTS Micro-Purchase PM and the TTS OA Director as observers to the request. You can do this by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the C2 page to where it says “Observers” and typing in their names or emails.
- Attach the RFQ and vendor quote to the C2 request.
Who to contact about purchasing services
Or find us in Slack: #tts-oa-internalbuy.